ALIMS shall give permission for the use of promotional materials and other documentation which refer to the advertising of medicinal products and medical devices.
Advertising of medicinal products and medical devices is any form of providing accurate information on a medicinal product to the general and professional public regarding medicinal product prescription, supply, sale and consumption, and includes the following:
- Advertising through the media, including the Internet;
- Advertising in public places and other forms of advertising (mail, visits, etc.);
- Promotion to the health-care and veterinary professionals who prescribe medicinal products by providing information at professional conferences, in professional journals and other forms of promotion;
- Giving free samples to the professional public;
- Sponsoring of scientific and promotional events involving the professional public (by paying expenses for travel, lodging, meals as well as costs of mandatory participation in scientific and promotional events).
Stating only the name of the medicinal product, INN, or trademark if it serves solely as a reminder shall not be considered as advertising of a medicinal product.
Promotion of a medicinal product to the professional public must contain basic information on a medicinal product from marketing authorization, or data consistent with the Summary of Product Characteristics, as well as information relating to the mode of medicinal product issuance.
Over-the-counter medicinal products can be advertised in the media and in another manner, i.e. information on their effects may be provided only in accordance with the Summary of Product Characteristics, which is an integral part of the marketing authorization.
Advertising of medicinal products and medical devices must be objective and not misleading.